A GIS Framework for Eclipse
uDig is an open source (EPL and BSD) desktop application framework, built with Eclipse Rich Client (RCP) technology.
- uDig can be used as a stand-alone application.
- uDig can be extended with RCP “plug-ins”.
- uDig can be used as a plug-in in an existing RCP application.
The goal of uDig is to provide a complete Java solution for desktop GIS data access, editing, and viewing. uDig aims to be:
- User friendly, providing a familiar graphical environment for GIS users;
- Desktop located, running as a thick client, natively on Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux;
- Internet oriented, consuming standard (WMS, WFS, WPS) and de facto (GeoRSS, KML, tiles) geospatial web services; and,
- GIS ready, providing the framework on which complex analytical capabilities can be built, and gradually subsuming those capabilities into the main application.
uDig is distributed under the Eclipse Public License EPL .
- Download the application.
- Download the sample data.
- Install the application.
- Unzip the sample data.
- Run the application.
- Drag a file from the explorer view of the sample data into the uDig main panel.
- Try Quickstart.
- Try Walkthrough 1.
- Try Walkthrough 2.
- Keep on playing!