Drag and Drop¶
Drag and Drop is the general practise of:
- Pressing the mouse button to grab an object; then
- Using the mouse to “Drag” the object into position; and
- Releasing the mouse button to “Drop” the into the desired spot
Changing Layer Order¶
You can drag and drop existing layers to sort them into the desired order.
- Press the mouse button on a Layer
- Drag the layer into the desired position; a horizontal line will indicate the position where the layer will be moved into
- Release the mouse button
This effect is the same as pressing the move up and move down buttons.
Inserting a Layer¶
You can insert a new layer; into the exact position desired; by dragging and dropping any of the following:
- A resource from the catalog
- A File (from the operating system)
- A URL (from a web browser)
To insert a layer:
- Press the mouse button on a File
- Drag the file into the Layer view
- Release - If the file contains a single resource (like a shapefile) it will be added immediately. The shapefile will also be added to the catalog.
To insert a Service:
- Press the mouse button on a WMS Capabilities link (in a browser)
- Drag the url into the Layer view
- Release; a Resource Selection page will be displayed allowing you to choose which layers to insert. The service will also be added to the catalog.
Creating a New map¶
You can drag a resource from the Catalog; a file or a URL into the Projects view to create a new Map.
Creating a new Map from a shapefile:
- Press a mouse button on a shapefile (be sure to choose the file with the extension shp)
- Drag the file into the Project view:
- Release it onto a Project to create a new map; The map will be created with the same name as the shapefile; the map projection will be based on the prj file.
- Release it onto an existing Map to insert a layer
The resource(s) must be dragged to the exact location in the Projects view hierarchy; they cannot be simply dragged and dropped onto a blank area.