Welcome to the uDig 1.2 Release Candidate 3. No further release candidates are planned, we are putting the finishing touches on documentation community update sites prior to 1.2.0.
This release is made in conjunction with GeoTools 2.6.4.
Download the package appropriate to your platform, unzip and run:
Windows and Linux packages includes a Java Runtime so you really can unzip and run without making any configuration changes to your Machine. On Mac OSX uDig is able to check for Java Advanced Imaging and install if needed.
To get started with uDig:
About uDig 1.2 Release Candidate 3
The release adds three amazing new features:
- Access to GeoTools DataStores via a generic wizard allowing users to connect to many additional data formats and access all connection parameters.
- One long standing difficulty with using large datasets is uDig wanting to know the bounds of the data (so it can efficiently search, zoom etc…). For common spatial file formats this data is known and available; for large databases such as DB2 and PostgreSQL this can take some time to calculate. For the generic GeoTools DataStore wizard above we are experimenting with using bounds based simply on the valid area for coordinate reference system provided by the data.
- The valid area of the coordinate reference system is also used when "clipping" WFS requests resolving some long standing issues when editing WFS services that do not update their Capabilities document.
- Advanced: Control what features are requested for a layer using a Common Query Language (CQL) expression. The expression builder offers command completion with the full GeoTools function list available as you type
- Experimental: Cache support added allowing you to cache WFS layers in memory for increased performance (please be careful when working with large datasets as this is the first time uDig is allowing users to cache data in memory)
Additional documentation for developers:
- [UDIG-1632] - IFeaturePanel class and Extension Point
- [UDIG-1520] - unable to connect WMS with Udig
- [UDIG-1553] - axios plugin edittools
- [UDIG-1578] - OracleGeoResource keeps its own IService
- [UDIG-1587] - Adding WMS service via wizard fails.
- [UDIG-1612] - Bluemarble tif not displayed
- [UDIG-1629] - PostGIS next() called before hasNext()
- [UDIG-1633] - Cannot resolve PostGIS layer to JDBCDataStore
- [UDIG-1638] - Marker size defaults to 6
- [UDIG-1639] - Table show selection does nothing
- [UDIG-1641] - RenderContextImpl fails when MapViewer not shown yet
- [UDIG-1642] - Cant edit PostGIS line feature in 1.2-rc2
- [UDIG-1650] - Add transparency support for default Image format image/png8
- [UDIG-1631] - Move public documentation to public svn
- [UDIG-1634] - Break ICatalog up into ISearch and IRepository and check interface boundaries
- [UDIG-1647] - Add visual queues to information tool layer list
- [UDIG-1648] - Change Coordinate System: Set focus to Search field
- [UDIG-1655] - Allow user to change layer filter
- [UDIG-1656] - FeatureInterceptor for creation of default values
- [UDIG-1657] - Service and GeoResource Interceptors
- [UDIG-1658] - Generic GeoTools DataStore support
- [UDIG-1659] - Relaxing requirement to know bounds
- [UDIG-1660] - User control of Feature Caching
- [UDIG-1661] - Filter layer content with "query builder"
- The mac release is unable to support the full range of ImageIO-EXT formats. Please contact udig-devel if you are able to build GDAL on Mac OSX.
- WIn64 download does not include a JRE at this time
About uDig 1.2 Series
The uDig 1.2 series highlights a lot really great ideas the developer community has been working on. We have migrated to a modern version of the GeoTools library - bringing in five years of new developments in standard support, and a host of new raster and vector formats. An exciting addition is the use of the ImageIO-ext project allowing the use of raster formats supported by GDAL.
New and capabilities of uDig 1.2 include:
- ImageIO-EXT rendering enabling additional raster formats and working with images larger then memory
- Tiled rendering (as an option in preferences) with a new flicker free panning tool.
- Support for GeoWebCache and TileServer via WMS-C
- WFS 1.1.0 support
- Greatly improved ArcSDE support; multithreaded and faster
- Advanced Symbology including Hatches and True Type Font support